According to history, in 968 after putting an end to a conflict caused by 12 war-lords and reunifying the country. Dinh Bo Linh declared himself Emperor and named his country Dai Co Viet with the capital located at Hoa Lu, in 984, Le Hoan and many places built and set up Bach-Bao-Thien-Tue Palace on Dai Van mountain top with silver or gold plated pillars and used it as a place for royal audience; to the East was Phong Luu Palace and to the West was Tu Hoa, on the left side was Bong Lai and on the right side was Cuc Lac Palace. After that Dai Van Tower and Truong Xuan Palace were also constructed and the later was used as a bedchamber for the King. Next to Truong Xuan Palace, it was long loc palace with silver tiles (Dai Viet Historical Record - Dai Viet Su Ky Toan Thu)
More than one thousand year have elapsed since the, the gold or silver plated palaces under the Tien Le (First Le Dynasty) no longer existed, only traces of a citadel of around 300 ha within the present-day commune of Truong Yen, Hoa Lu district (Ninh Binh Province) could be seen. The ancient capital at Hoa Lu was divided into two parts: the inner and the outer citadel. The outer citadel was about 300 ha, covering the villages of Yen Thuong, Yen Thanh at present. The inner citadel was as large as the size of the outer citadel, located on the present day village of Chi Phong, Truong Yen commune and as legend says its was a residential area store houses.
In building the Hoa Lu capital, Dinh Tien Hoang managed to take the advantages offtered by the natural terrain to construct palaces and set up fortification lines. The Hoa Lu Capital was located on a rather flat area at the foot of a limestone mountain range in Hoa Lu district. The surrounding limestone range served as a very good natural fortification. Only in the East and North East, the citadel was not supported by the mountain range. In between the two mountains, Dinh Tien Hoang had earthen fortification. Discover the conflict caused by 12 war-lords with Vietnam travel in Ancient Capital at Hoa Lu.Lines built up, thus making it almost a circular fortification. At present, in Truong Yen commune, there are still relies of 10 fortification lines with names like the east, Vau, Den, Bo, Bin, etc...
PHAT DIEM CATHEDRAL
Phat Diem Cathedral is 130 kilometers south of Hanoi. A priest named Tran Luc built it between 1875 and 1899.
The Phat Diem Cathedral site encloses many Chapels built in oriental style: A lake called Phuong Dinh and the Cathedral. The Cathedral is surrounded by four Chapels, three artificial grottos and a stone Shine.
On a tiny islet in the middle of the rectangular lake reigns a tall white statue of Christ the King.
Phuong Dinh is an imposing stone structure 24 netters long 17 metres wide and 25 metres high. Stone low relief are to be seen inside as well as outside. On its top are hanging a big drum and a big bell weighing about two tons.
The Cathedral built in 1891, is 74 metres long and 21 metres wide, it has four roofs resting on six ranks of ironwood pillars. The two middle ranks have 16 pillars, each eleven metres high, 2.35m in circumference. Each of them is the trunk of a single tree. The high altar was cut in a single block of stone (3 metres long, 90 centimeters large and 80 centimeters high) and carved on its three sides. The back of the high altar is made of chiseled woodworks lacquered and gilt.Discover the conflict caused by 12 war-lords with Vietnam travel in Ancient Capital at Hoa Lu.
On both sides of the Cathedral four Chapels mount the guard of honour, each on has a different style. At the far end rise three stone grottos, the most beautiful of them is that of our Lady of Lourdes, Finally, on the North-West corner of the site rises the jewel of the whole complex: its is popularly called the Stone Chapel because all its parts are made of stone: walls, columns, beams, Windows and towers.